Apple has released iOS 9 to the public and is now available for download over the air or through iTunes. First thing you want to do is prepare your device so it’s backed up and ready for the new operating system, click here to learn more.
First you’ll want to make sure your device is supported. Apple is supporting iPhone 4S or later, iPad 3 or later, iPod touch 5th generation or later. All versions of the iPad mini are currently being supported as well.
Update to iOS 9 Over The Air (OTA)
The easy way to update phone is using the over the air method. Here’s how:
- Plug in your device to a power source.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install. Updates might download automatically while your device is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
- Tap Install, or tap Later to install the update later. If you use a passcode, you’ll need to enter it before installing the update.
If you are upgrading over the air you’ll need at least 1.3 GB of space available on your device. If you don’t have enough space you can either delete some apps, pictures or music temporality or use the iTunes method.
Update your Device via iTunes
- Make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer.
- Plug your device into your computer.
- In iTunes, select your device.
- In the Summary pane, click Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
If you don’t have enough space to update via iTunes you make need to delete some content manually. You can learn more about this here.